Use this guide to set up and use your RedBeam Asset TrackingTM software.
Initial Installation Steps:
- RedBeam recommends reading the user manual (found on the CD) before installing. If you have downloaded the software (all software purchased outside the US is provided digitally only), the manual can be accessed after installation under Programs->RedBeam->RedBeam Asset Tracking.
- Verify that your computer uses Microsoft Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 7 or 8. If using Vista, 7 or 8, please go to Start->Control Panel->User Accounts and disable User Accounts control before installing.
- You must be logged in as a Local Windows Administrator to install. Temporarily disabling firewalls and anti-virus applications is recommended while installing.
- From the CD or downloaded installation, double click on the setup icon. Follow the instructions to install the software.
- When you launch the software for the first time, you will be asked if you want to store data on this PC. If so, click “Yes”. If not, please first install the software on the PC where the data will reside and then return and install on this PC.
- You will be asked to enter a new password for the server. Your initial user ID will be “sa” (for system administrator.) Please make a note of this user ID and password in case you want to network your system later.
- You will be asked if you want to load demo data. If so, click “Yes”. You can purge the data at anytime by going to Admin->Purge in the system.
- Once the system launches, begin entering your Master Data by clicking on the Master Datatab. This is data that is used by the rest of the system. It includes your company, buildings, rooms, departments, custodians, asset types, purchasing info, statuses and user fields.
- When your Master Data is set up, click to the Asset Data tab and begin entering each of your assets. Master Data will appear in the drop down lists.
- Go to Reporting->Label Printing to print room and asset barcode labels.
- Remove the cabled scanner from the box and plug the USB cable into any available USB port on your computer.
- Pull the trigger to insure that the laser light activates. You can scan into any field in the system by putting your cursor in the field and scanning.
- Remove the cradle for the mobile computer from the box and plug in the power supply and communications cable.
- Attach the communications cable to the back of your PC.
- Place the mobile computer in the cradle and allow the battery to charge.
- Go to Start > Computer > System Properties to check your operating system version. If you are running Windows XP, download and install Microsoft ActiveSync here. If you are using Windows Vista or later, download the Windows Mobile Device Center 32-bit version here or the 64-bit version here.
- Once installed, you should notice the green ActiveSync or Mobile Device Center icon connecting in your tool bar. If the mobile computer does not connect, remove it and place it firmly back in the cradle. ActiveSync should connect.
- Once ActiveSync connects, it will try to set up a partnership or ask you to set up your device. RedBeam recommends following the steps to do this. Unless you plan on syncing other programs on your PC to the mobile computer, when presented with the list of other programs to sync, uncheck all of the application check boxes. Complete any remaining steps. The device should then be connected.
- In the RedBeam Asset Tracking program, go to the Sync Handheld tab and click the “Sync with the Handheld” button. The first time you do this, the program will load to your mobile computer. Click the button a second time to sync your data.
If you have a valid support contract and need additional support, please call RedBeam, Inc. at 678-373-0390. If you need to purchase a support contract, please contact your RedBeam Reseller.